Optimistic and cheerful by nature, blessed with uncanny luck, and driven by a powerful wanderlust, halflings make up for their short stature with an abundance of bravado and curiosity. They are known by many names; little people, munchkins, hobbits or even gnomes! At once excitable and easy-going, halflings like to keep an even temper and a steady eye on opportunity, and are not as prone to violent or emotional outbursts as some of the more volatile races. Even in the jaws of catastrophe, halflings almost never lose their sense of humor. Their ability to find humor in the absurd, no matter how dire the situation, often allows halflings to distance themselves ever so slightly from the dangers that surround them.
Ability Scores: Halflings cannot exceed +3 in any ability except for Dexterity where they can have up to a +4 and strength where they cannot exceed +1.
Ability Score Max: Halflings have a max total combined ability total of 5
Size: 3 – 4 foot tall, 75 – 140 lbs
Speed: 90 feet
Languages: Common and Halfling
Special Racial Abilities:
- + 2 to Armor Class when attacked by anything larger than human
- + 2 bonus to the Hit Roll when using a bow, sling or throw dagger
- + 5 bonus to Combat Initiative for their small quickness
- Class bonus always applies to attempting to sneak around stealthily
- Halflings have the Backstab ability (see the combat section)
- Halflings are difficult to spot, and gain additional bonuses when attempting to hide. They gain the following bonuses to hiding, in addition to their wisdom bonuses: Normal Light +3, Low Light +7 and Outdoors +11.
Class Restrictions: Halflings may only choose from Cleric, Barbarian, Grifter or Thief.
Limitations or Restrictions:
- A halfling may wear any kind of armor, and may use a shield. However, their armor and shields must be specially made for their small size (doubling the list price). Even dwarf-sized armor is too large for them.
- A halfling may only use weapon weighing 3lbs or less (such as a dagger, short sword, or shortbow), and may not use two-handed swords, longbows, battle axes, pole-arms, or other large weapons.